[Tlc] TLC-AAS meeting minutes

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Tue Apr 7 16:22:43 PDT 2009

Please see the TLC meeting minutes below and attached.
Best regards,
justin

Annual Business Meeting Minutes
Sheraton
Chicago, IL
7:15PM to 9:00 PM
Missouri Room
Saturday
March 28, 2009

TLC Business MEETING (7:15-9:00)

1) This year's meeting started with a talk “Perceptions of Sukhothai through
the Ages” by Dr. Hiram Woodward, Curator Emeritus, Asian Art, Walters Art Museum. This year’s TLC theme is “Art History and TLC Studies.” Dr. Woodward’s talk offered reflections on mythical and non-mythical elements in texts concerning Sukhothai: legend and projection in the early Bangkok period; the discovery and reading of the Sukhothai inscriptions; the integration of Sukhothai into the history of Siam; the debate over the authenticity of the Ram Khamhaeng inscription; and the current situation. I particularly enjoyed the way Dr. Woodward showed the relevance (whether politicized, artistic, literary, scholarly) of Sukhothai on modern rituals, architecture, national pride, and scholarly debates. This diachronic, synchronic, and inter-disciplinary  approach revealed the dynamic nature of Art Historical approaches to TLC Studies. As many of you know, Dr. Woodward is one the world’s leading experts on Southeast Asian art. Since the TLC designated panel (see below) was in honor of the memory of Dr. Roxanna Brown, Dr. Woodward graciously offered to give the TLC distinguished lecture to promote the study of Art History and Southeast Asian Studies. We thank him sincerely.

At the business meeting we opened the floor to ideas for
next year's theme and there was general enthusiasm for dedicating 2010 to “borders” and “junctures” and encouraging panels to focus on communities living on the borders of Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia (Mon, Hmong, Tai Leu, Shan, Malay, among other groups), as well as research projects that focus on cross-border issues. The executive committee will start considering distinguished speakers for this theme.

2) Call for panel ideas for a T/L/C sponsored panel. This
year's TLC-Panel was on Friday March 27th at 1:00 pm.
#80 on the panel list:

"The Scholarship of Roxanna Brown and its Implications for Future Research on the Ceramics, Art, and Trade of Southeast Asia: Sponsored by the Thailand, Laos, Cambodia Studies Group (Robert L. Brown, University of California, Los Angeles).”

This panel was well-received and attended. We also were honored that members of Dr. Roxanna Brown’s family attended the panel.

This is certainly not the only panel that has
Cambodian, Lao, and Thai Studies papers. There were several excellent panels and individual papers on TLC themes this year. It was indeed a good year for SEA Studies.

Several panel ideas were suggested at the business meeting. These include:
A)	Dr. Kate Gillogly would like to put together a session on development studies for next year’s AAS.  Ultimately, the focus and abstract will depend on the papers submitted, but she hopes to put together a panel that presents a broad survey of development issues in Thailand/Laos/Cambodia, with a mix among a practical focus among what has been done and what needs to be done or on-the-ground ethnography of how development projects work, with more distanced analyses of how development works as a culture in and of itself in Thailand/Laos/Cambodia.  She would give priority to issues in development studies that haven’t been addressed at the AAS (esp. resettlement, dam-building, urban slums, agricultural development, etc).  She hopes to use this as an opportunity to get people presenting who might not be regular AAS participants.
B)	Dr. Sandra Cate suggested a panel on modern art and artists in Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia.
C)	Dr. Robert Albritton (Ole Miss) suggested a panel on Thai Music.
D)	Dr. Nicola Tannenbaum (Lehigh University) suggested a panel on “non-majority” populations in Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia.

The executive committee of the TLC encourages members to submit panel ideas to the listserv and to the executive committee before June 30th. Please contact Justin McDaniel at justinm at ucr.edu . If you would like to participate in any of the panel ideas above, please contact McDaniel as well.

3) Website (tlc.ucr.edu), listserv updates: Justin McDaniel offered an update on the website. In early 2007 we conducted an on-line survey which yielded a large response. Based on these responses, we have built the website in three major areas: 1) film archives for TLC Studies; 2) Regular reports on new articles and books in the field; 3) regular political reporting from Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia. McDaniel will be moving the website and listserv to the University of Pennsylvania in the summer of 2009. There he will begin developing a TLC member directory, more regular reporting of new publications in Khmer, Lao, Thai, and Hmong languages. He also hopes to completely redesign the website between 2009-2011. The University of Pennsylvania has agreed to host the site without charge and assist McDaniel in website development.

4) Member news--we have lots of new members! Presently we have 514 members of the TLC from over a dozen countries.

5) Nominations and Elections:

Continuing executive committee members:
Dr. Chhany Sak-Humphry (University of Hawaii), Dr. Susan Kepner (UC Berkeley), Dr. Kristin Lundberg (University of Kansas), and Dr. Richard Ruth (Naval Academy).

Executive committee members (re)elected: Dr. ML Pattaration Chirapravati (California State University at Sacramento), Dr. Nicola Tannenbaum (Lehigh University), Dr. Vinya Sysamouth (Center for Lao Studies), Dr. Justin McDaniel (chair), (University of California at Riverside).

Jonathan Padwe (Yale University) will serve for one more year as Graduate Student Chair.

Lawrence Ashmun (Bibliographer) will remain the TLC bibliographer.

6) Announcements:

A)	TLC member and former executive committee member, Dr. Penny Edwards (University of California at Berkeley) won the Harry Benda Prize for Best Book in Southeast Asian Studies for 2008! See information about this prestigious prize at:
http://www.aasianst.org/publications/book-prizes-benda.htm and information on her book at: http://www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/cart/shopcore/?PHPSESSID=b42d9935119a8d85ce7f616457fa1724&page=shop%2Fbrowse&db_name=uhpress&search_type=Specific+Search&sfield=product_name&subject_keyword=cambodge

B)	Dr. Teri Yamada announced the Journal of Modern Cambodian Literature. See her work on this project at:

	http://www.csulb.edu/misc/inside/archives/vol_57_no_11/f5.htm

C)	Dr. Pattaratorn Chirapravati (California State University at Sacramento) and Dr. Forest McGill (Asian Art Museum) will be the curators of the “Emerald Cities” exhibition at the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco in Fall, 2009. See the announcement at:

http://www.asianart.org/emeraldcities.htm

D)	Dr. Judith Henchy (University of Washington) is forming a committee to judge a SEAC - AAS Translation Prize.

E)	Dr. Ashley Thompson made announcements regarding Udaya Journal Khmer Culture. This journal is published by Friends of Khmer Culture, Inc. (FOKCI) To order this and other Udaya volumes: http://www.khmerculture.net/udaya.htm
Direct purchase in Cambodia available at all Monument Books outlets.

F)	Dr. John Hartmann announced the CFP and Annual Meeting of the Council on Thai Studies (October 23-24, 2009) Northern Illinois University. See:

http://www.cseas.niu.edu/outreach/COTS2009

G)	Dr. Louise Cort announced the exhibition at the Freer and Sackler Gallery (Smithsonian Museum): “Taking Shape: Ceramics in Southeast Asia.” Please see:

	Http://SEAsianCeramics.asia.si.edu

7) Dr. Vinya Sysamouth offered a very informative presentation on the new Journal of Lao Studies and the variety of activities at the Center for Lao Studies. See:

www.laostudies.org

8) Donations for the Ingrid Muan Graduate Traveling
Fellowship were collected and this year our members were particularly generous. We collected our largest amount ever (424.00). This is particularly admirable in a difficult economic climate. Indeed, the TLC may be the only institution growing financially in 2009! Thank you to every person (mostly anonymous!) who donated to this fund. This really helps future graduate students. Now we have 697.00 in the account and should be able to fund one graduate student traveling from Asia or 2-3 domestic students next year! Just wonderful.

9) Financial Report was offered. Financially, the TLC is stable. As of March 30, 2009, the TLC has 2314.83 USD in its primary account. In May 2007 we had 1314.83. At that time, we requested 1,000 USD from SEAC. We received this funding and UCR matched it. Therefore, we had 3,314,83 in funding available. UCR used it matching funds to pay for our undergraduate student assistant which brought our total back down to 2,314.83. Our goal is to maintain a minimum balance of 1,000.00 USD for future and unforeseen projects. With this in mind, Justin McDaniel attended the SEAC meeting and offered the annual TLC report. He is very pleased to announce that the SEAC committee was very generous to the TLC this year (in a very difficult financial year for the SEAC and AAS in general). We were granted to entire 500.00 dollars we requested. We thank the SEAC committee very much for this funding which will allow us to redesign and expand the website and other activities. Now we have 2,814.83 in our general account.

This funding is separate from the (now) 697.00 USD collected through annual donations. This donated funding only goes towards the annual Ingrid Muan Fellowship.

Thanks,

justinm at ucr.edu