[Tlc] L-hydroelectric

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Mon Sep 29 21:48:20 PDT 2008

FYI. Sent by a member.

Statement by the Lao Delegation at the Regional Multi- Stakeholder Consultation on the MRC Hydropower Programme, 25-27 September 2008, Vientiane, Lao PDR

The Lao Delegation wishes to take the opportunity presented by this forum to state the Lao Government policy on national development which is aimed at ensuring strong economic growth and lifting the country out of poverty by the sustainable use of its natural resources. We have embarked on a program of economic growth, which includes development of the key sectors namely: hydropower, agriculture, forestry, tourism, infrastructure, mining, and industrial processing, mindful that our development strategy must also ensure protection of our precious environment.

The implementation of our policies has already seen the successful development of a number of major infrastructure projects.  The Nam Theun 2 hydropower project is an excellent example of one such project.  It demonstrates the importance of transparency in developing large scale sustainable infrastructure projects.  Not only has Nam Theun 2 been a successful project in its own right; the whole hydropower sector in Lao has benefited from the work that has been done on Nam Theun 2.  Many of the NT2 practices are now enshrined in the Country's National Policy on Environmental and Social Sustainability of the Hydropower Sector of 2005.  After overcoming initial capacity challenges, the relevant institutions are now implementing this important National Policy.

Our challenge as a country and as a development community is to put in place the necessary mechanisms that will allow us to distribute growth more evenly across the country.  This inclusive growth will make many things possible for our people: for children in remote areas to attend school, for families to access health clinics, for people in isolated communities to be connected by new roads.

The government has embarked on its national development program fully aware of the capacity constraints it must work under to successfully implement its strategy; the building of institutions, the development of human resources, and putting in place and implementing the necessary legal and regulatory framework all present a huge challenge for the government.

The establishment of the Water Resources and Environment Administration (WREA) is an example of the Lao Government facing up to the challenge.  A relatively new government agency within the national administration, under difficult circumstances WREA has been carrying out its role of managing water resources in an integrated way, reviewing the all-important Environment Impact Assessments (EIAs).  It has also been monitoring the implementation of projects. In keeping with government policy, the institution itself is being strengthened with the creation of a new department to handle the EIA responsibility.

WREA is also in the final stages of introducing revised regulations on EIA based on both experience gained and best practice, this being reflected in the improvement of the process itself together with the introduction of the disclosure policy.  This is typical of the changes sweeping right across the government sector where reform is an ongoing process.

We welcome people and organizations that are willing to work with us to achieve our goals. In the massive task of meeting the challenges of achieving strong economic growth and lifting our country out of poverty, there are many challenges along the way. We welcome your constructive input.
http://www.lnmc.gov.la/index.html

justinm at ucr.edu