[Tlc] T-response to Charles Keyes

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Sun Sep 7 17:49:16 PDT 2008

FYI.
Thanks,
justin

Dear Biff and others- I also really agree with Ajaan Charnvit's comments about
PAD's fascism in the guise of "democracy", though not sure whether I agree
completely about Biff's comment below on Samak and 1976. Pity it took some?
academics three years to realise what was happening in Thailand since
cheerleading khor-mor-chor and working with them on a regressive Constitution
that wants to establish the status quo ante. A little bit of quality of time in
the rain with the masses at Sanam Luang during June/July 2007 would have shown
this clearly. Nevermind. Whatever the past (and we all have skeletons) Samak is
a direct, honest, and tough enough guy to solve the current political dilemma.
It seems to me from memory that Samak was appointed Minister of Interior after
Oct 1976? and that no mention is made of "good" individuals on PAD's side who
were centrally involved such as Chamlong and his charming mate General Panlop,
or even Surayud for that matter. According to Major Gen Saedaeng Kattiya (check
his webboard)- a guy who by his own admission was involved in 1976 -the
propaganda machinery that led to the massacre from Yan-Krauh Radio Station was
controlled by the likes of Uthai Sanitwong, Uthit NaSawat, and "Tomyantee". I
may be wrong, but a reality check is needed first before criticising Samak in
the same way that the corrupt and one-sided Thai media tend to do, as with
Thaksin before him.
Jim

justinm at ucr.edu