[Tlc] TLC-positions

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Wed Oct 29 23:06:10 PDT 2008

FYI.
Thanks,
justin

Lecturer in Anthropology (two positions)

The University of Sydney

Closing Date:

We are seeking to appoint two anthropologists who will enhance the Department's position as an international leader in teaching and research focussed on societies and cultures of the Asia Pacific region including Australia.

School of Social and Political Sciences
Faculty of Arts
Reference No. 142453

The Faculty of Arts, ranked in the top fifteen Arts faculties internationally, prides itself on a long standing tradition of intellectual rigour and a vibrant research and teaching environment. We offer the most comprehensive and diverse range of humanities and social sciences in the Asia Pacific region and it is in this spirit that we have created our newest school, Social and Political Sciences (SSPS), incorporating the departments of Anthropology, Sociology and Social Policy, Political Economy, and Government and International Relations, as well as the Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies. SSPS is experiencing significant growth and change during its first year of existence, attracting high-calibre students to innovative social science courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.

Australia's foundation Department of Anthropology, established in 1925, is entering an exciting phase of growth and renewal. Following the recent appointment of the Professor of Anthropology and the formation of the School of Social and Political Sciences, we offer opportunities to join a dynamic group committed to intellectual excellence in anthropology and its intersections with interdisciplinary fields such as development studies, health and healing, urban studies and migration. We are seeking to appoint two anthropologists who will enhance the Department's position as an international leader in teaching and research focussed on societies and cultures of the Asia Pacific region including Australia.

The Department has responsibility for the Anthropology and Culture and Development majors in the Bachelor of Arts. Anthropology also contributes a major to the Bachelor of International and Global Studies, and core teaching and electives to the Masters degree in Development Studies. The successful applicants will contribute strongly to the department's teaching and research strengths and will work collaboratively with colleagues to foster new research initiatives and curriculum innovation.

Successful applicants will have:

Essential:
• a PhD in anthropology;
• demonstrated experience and commitment to ongoing ethnographic field research;
• a strong record of peer-reviewed publications relative to opportunity;
• demonstrated experience and commitment to innovative teaching and curriculum development at undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
• commitment to a sustained and active research program including research grant applications;
• demonstrated administrative skills;
• evidence of capacity for collaboration in teaching and research.

Desirable:
• a record of successful honours and research student supervision;
• competence in an Asia Pacific language.

These positions are full-time continuing, subject to the completion of a satisfactory probation period for new appointees.

Remuneration package: $88,465 - $105,052 p.a. (which includes a base salary Lecturer Level B $74,755 - $88,771 p.a., leave loading and up to 17% employer’s contribution to superannuation).

For more information and to apply, please visit http://positions.usyd.edu.au/aas1

Specific enquiries about the role can be directed to the Chair of the Department, Neil Maclean, via email: neil.maclean at usyd.edu.au General enquiries can be directed to Cameron Burgess on (+61 2) 9351 5880.

Closing Date: 3 December 2008

Web Link:

http://positions.usyd.edu.au/jobtools/jncustomsearch.viewFullSingle?in_organid=14743&in_jnCounter=221365419&in_version=&in_jobDate=All&in_jobType=&in_skills=anthropology&in_residency=&in_graphic=&in_param=&in_searchbox=YES&in_recruiter=&in_jobreference=&in_orderby=&in_sessionid=&in_navigation1=&in_summary=S

Holly High

Lecturer

Department of Anthropology

School Social and Political Sciences