[Tlc] Mydans NYT art

H. Leedom Lefferts lleffert at drew.edu
Mon Oct 13 10:07:31 PDT 2008

In addition to the reasons Biff mentions, in my discussions with Northeasterners just before and during the last election when Thaksin was running, their response to my question of who they were going to vote for was, "If not Thaksin, who?"  It was clear to them that, while Thaksin might not have been a superb prime minister, no one else had the stature nor backing to make an effective leader.

Regards,
Leedom Lefferts

>>> Charles Keyes <keyes at u.washington.edu> 10/13/08 12:10 PM >>>
Seth Mydans article is is the first one I have seen in a major
newspaper -- including the Bangkok Post and The Nation where the
reporter actually has talked with northeasterners. His article
deserves to receive wide attention, but I am sure it will be dismissed
not only by PAD but also by the media in Bangkok as being by just
another misguided farang. This would be very unfortunate.

His findings confirm my own previous analysis based on my own research
in the Northeast that (1) that northeasterners are sophisticated (not
stupid as Sondhi claims) voters; (2) that they have supported Thai Rak
Thai/PPP not because they do not recognize the flaws in the leaders
(Thaksin, Samak, or Somchai), but because this party (parties?) is the
only one they see as advancing their interests as distinct from the
interests of the Bangkok (and urban) middle class; and (3) that since
they have come to recognize that they are politically significant,
they are not going to retreat back to being compliant peasants in a
Thai hierarchical system.

Charles (Biff) Keyes
Emeritus Professor of Anthropology and International Studies
Department of Anthropology
Box 353100
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3100