[Tlc] TLC-new publications

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Thu Nov 13 10:59:06 PST 2008

Hi everyone,

I will be updating the TLC dissertations list soon with all the new North American dissertations in TLC related fields from 2007-2008 (2003-2006 are available now on tlc.ucr.edu). I wanted some help here with European, Asian, and Australian dissertations on the subjects. I know many from my own field of Buddhist Studies, but not many in others, especially on Cambodian Studies. If you know of great dissertations produced in the last five years outside of North America (I'm sure there are dozens I am not aware of) please send in information. I have lists of dissertations from Thai monastic universities, but other Thai ones would be helpful too.

Also, I wanted to let you know of two major series that have been recently published:

1) Allen Hicken's (editor) 4 volume set: Politics of Modern Southeast Asia available from Routledge. Pricey yes, necessary for your libraries/institutions -- absolutely!

2) Geoff Wade's (editor) China and Southeast Asia. This is a 6 volume set. This set should inspire a whole new generation of scholars in this understudied field.

Other notable (although not multi-volume sets) from Routlegde include: Nicholas Tarling and Terence Gomez (editors) The State, Development, and Identity in Multi-Ethnic Societies; David Streckfuss's Defamation and Social Memory in Thailand (very important for understanding recent events in public and "dangerous" discourse in Thailand); Evelyn Goh's Developing the Mekong; Tim Andrews and Sununta Siengtha's The Changing Face of Management in Thailand; Malcolm Cook's Banking Reform in Southeast Asia; Elizabeth Hoban's Cambodian Women; Anthony Welch's Higher Education in Southeast Asia; and Martin Gainsborough's (edited) On the Borders of State Power.

Thanks,

justinm at ucr.edu