[Tlc] Roxanna Brown update

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Fri May 16 23:23:37 PDT 2008

Dear All in the VSG and TLC,

Here is a little update on the the tragic passing of Roxanna Brown.

Her family (brother, cousin, and son) are working on the difficult legal and financial issues around shipping a body to Thailand. Roxanna was a citizen of Thailand and had requested long ago a Buddhist funeral in Bangkok.

We have set up a fund to donate any small amount to help the family with these considerable expenses. Nhung Tuyet Tran has been very helpful in looking into the reimbursements for the return flight for Roxanna and helping with all and sundry. Pattaratorn Chirapravati has been a wonderful source of information when it comes to legal issues surrounding funerals and shipment of remains. Caverlee Cary has composed a moving letter if condolence which I will send out for "signatures" to the lists soon. Melody Rodari, Alicia Carlos, and others have kept us informed on the needs of Roxanna's family. Charles Keyes, Judith Henchy, Susan Kepner, Rebecca Hall, Louise Cort, Hiram Woodward, Craig Reynolds, Michelle Thompson, Robert Brown, Emmy Bunker, Shawn McHale, Edward Miller, Boreth Ly, Bonnie Brereton, Charles Wheeler, Joyce Clark, Charnvit Kasetsiri, H. Leedom Lefferts, BJ Terwiel, Louis Gabaude, Thak Chaloemtiarana, Barbara Gaerlan, Nguyen-Vo Thu-Huong, Richard Page, Eric Charles Tho!
!
mpson, Anne R Hansen, Philippe Peycam, Charles Keith, Christina Firpo, Nicola Tannenbaum, Larry Ashmun, Nora Taylor, Laichen Sun, Richard A. Ruth, Trude Bennett, Cari Coe, Jim Cobbe, Scott Laderman, John Stevenson, Karen Adams, Ben Kerkvliet, David Rehfuss, Hue-Tam Ho Tai, Sarah Grant and many many others have been extremely helpful with advice, moral and financial support, and kind words. If you would like to assist in donations, we certainly welcome it! The cost of shipping a body to Thailand are shocking! Send checks in any amount made out to Justin McDaniel and Deborah Wong (we are the names on the TLC account)--3046 INTN Department of Religious Studies, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521. We will collect them and wire them to the family with names attached. Please also send me an e-mail letting me know if you are sending anything so that I have two records.

After we have helped the family with supporting the shipment and funeral, we need to turn (if not sooner) into supporting a formal inquiry into the tragic and suspicious circumstances surrounding the passing of an otherwise young and energetic scholar and humanitarian. We will keep you up-to-date on that.

More soon and thank you very much,

justinm at ucr.edu