[Tlc] TLC-Roxanna Brown

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Fri May 16 09:23:54 PDT 2008

Forwarded from Philippe Peycam:

Dear all,

I want to join both the TLC and VSG lists, to pay my respects to Dr. Roxanna Brown. I only recently met her at our last conference on Ancient Khmer Ceramics which was held in December in Siem Reap. Her intellectual contribution was inspirational. She was a true historian, I could tell.
But I also want to point out another aspect of her activities not mentioned yet: her dedication to helping courageous efforts in Cambodia and Thailand to revive ancient ceramic making techniques. These initiatives receive very little publicity, and this is why CKS and Heritage Watch, together with the newly created National Center for Khmer Ceramic Revival, here in Siem Reap, approached Roxanna to help us organize this unusual conference where scholars and potters joined together to share knowledge and experiences. She did so wholeheartedly, and I know how much she was helping Serges Rega, the director of NCKCR in his courageous efforts. She was already on the advisory committee for our next conference, which is planned for December this year. This in itself, is a proof that Roxanna was not interested in smuggling ancient ceramics. On the contrary, she wanted to help local people rediscover ancient techniques as a new, viable alternative to earn a living, and a deterrent again!
!
st looting and trading ancient pieces.

Philippe Peycam
Center for Khmer Studies