[Tlc] Fw: [Vsg] Fw: [Aaup] UW Guest Speaker Dies at SeaTac Detention Center

Judith Henchy judithh at u.washington.edu
Fri May 16 07:18:50 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philippe Peycam" <phpey at hotmail.com>
To: <vsg at u.washington.edu>; <info at khmerceramics.com>
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 4:21 AM
Subject: RE: [Vsg] Fw: [Aaup] UW Guest Speaker Dies at SeaTac Detention
Center

Dear all,

I want to join both the TLC and VSG lists, to pay my respects to Dr. Roxanna
Brown. I only recently met her at our last conference on Ancient Khmer
Ceramics which was held in December in Siem Reap. Her intellectual
contribution was inspirational. She was a true historian, I could tell.
But I also want to point out another aspect of her activities not mentioned
yet: her dedication to helping courageous efforts in Cambodia and Thailand
to revive ancient ceramic making techniques. These initiatives receive very
little publicity, and this is why CKS and Heritage Watch, together with the
newly created National Center for Khmer Ceramic Revival, here in Siem Reap,
approached Roxanna to help us organize this unusual conference where
scholars and potters joined together to share knowledge and experiences. She
did so wholeheartedly, and I know how much she was helping Serges Rega, the
director of NCKCR in his courageous efforts. She was already on the advisory
committee for our next conference, which is planned for December this year.
This in itself, is a proof that Roxanna was not interested in smuggling
ancient ceramics. On the contrary, she wanted to help local people
rediscover ancient techniques as a new, viable alternative to earn a living,
and a deterrent against looting and trading ancient pieces.

Philippe Peycam

Center for Khmer Studies