[Tlc] [Vsg] Fw: [Aaup] UW Guest Speaker Dies at SeaTac Detention Center

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Thu May 15 15:05:33 PDT 2008

Dear All,

Based on responses by there seems to be three actions that we need to take at that time.

1) As Charles Keyes suggests, a letter of condolence needs to be sent to Roxanna Brown's son (as well as other members of his family including her brother in Chicago). Robert Brown,
Nhung Tuyet Tran, Barbara Gaerlan, Pattaratorn Chirapravati, Melody Rodari, Caverlee Cary among others have volunteered to write that letter. I imagine that they can coordinate writing that letter tonight. Once that letter is drafted, it can be sent to the TLC and VSG lists for signatures. If this is too difficult and no one on either list contacts me directly protesting their signature being attached to the condolence letter, then I (with the executive committee of VSG) can compile a list of names in both groups to attached to the bottom of the letter. This letter can be sent electronically to her family members to give them moral support. If I receive mailing addresses, I can also send hardcopies to her family members. Please contact me when the letter of condolence has been completed. I will send it out to the VSG and TLC lists.

2) Generating funds to help Roxanna's son Jamie fly to the U.S. and to pay for the cremation and funeral arrangements in Thailand. Melody Rodari has kindly started this fund. It may be easier to send checks to either the VSG or TLC accounts (can VSG handle this? I think you are bigger than us). We do not have dues in the TLC, so we just collect donations once a year a the TLC meeting. However, I am willing to receive checks, place them into the TLC account and then coordinate, with Melody, sending them to her son. I will wait to hear from Melody and the VSG executive board before sending out a call for donations. Please contact me soon. I will do what is most efficient.

3) Sending a concerned letter of request for a formal inquiry into the circumstances of her death to her family's lawyer. As suggested by Charles Keyes below. It seems to be most efficient to send the letter with a list of names of concerned colleagues as friend versus organizing something with the AAS. I have received several e-mails from people in VSG and TLC who said that they would be willing to attach their name to the letter. I think that this type of letter cannot simply have the names of the TLC/VSG members attached. Therefore, we would have to get individual e-mails from the members who would be willing to attach their names. Some of us, off list, have received additional information about the autopsy, legal matters, and the like. This information and the information already gathered by Biff Keyes needs to be put together. Then a letter to the proper authorities, legal team, family members needs to be drafted. I will contact people offlist who have volunteered to coor!
!
dinate the writing of this letter. Once it is written, we can send a request to the members of TLC/VSG to attach their names to it.

Thank you for all of your help. More soon,