[Tlc] Thai Commerce Ministry support for "Where the Miracle Happens"

Michael Montesano seamm at nus.edu.sg
Thu May 8 22:31:46 PDT 2008

http://www.bangkokpost.com/080508_News/08May2008_news07.php

'WHERE THE MIRACLE HAPPENS'

Princess' film out in Aug
The Bangkok Post, 8 May 2008
KONG RITHDEE & LAMPHAI INTATHEP
Princess Ubolratana's film Nueng Jai Deaw Kan (Where The Miracle
Happens) is to be released in local cinemas in early August, to mark
national Mothers' Day. The princess had a hand in writing the script for
the film which is based on her book Rueng San Tee Chan Kit, and stars in
the 70-million-baht production. It was directed by newcomer Siripakorn
Wongchariyawat.
''The idea of the book came from my involvement with children's
programmes such as To Be Number One, which helps young drug addicts, and
the Khun Poom Foundation, which deals with autistic kids. In the film my
character, Pimdao, is a confident woman who forgets that her material
success doesn't guarantee her happiness.
''When we have a good time, we often forget that there are people who
are in trouble,'' the princess said yesterday.
''The film is part of the Miracle of Life project. Many Thai children
are deprived of the opportunity to have a good education and
self-improvement. The project aims to help those underprivileged
children and develop their potential.''
The princess undertook acting lessons under Onchuma Yuthavong, better
known as Khru Aew. The lessons sometimes lasted until 1am.
All proceeds from the film's showings will go to the princess' Miracle
of Life Project, which helps Thai children receive a higher education.
The Ministry of Commerce, in a bid to promote Thai films, will rent a
cinema to show the film on May 16 at Cannes, though not as part of the
Cannes Film Festival, which begins on the French Riviera on May 14.