[Tlc] TLC-Burma relief

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Fri May 9 22:04:35 PDT 2008

The below is perhaps of interest for the TLC readership.

regards,
Keith Barney
Toronto, Canada

Dear Colleagues:

I received this email from a reliable research contact in Yangon. I can’t
comment on this organization directly, but the recommendation comes from a
friend who has many years experience of researching environment and development
issues in Burma.

The website of the organization he recommends is:

http://www.foundationburma.org/

Sincerely,
Keith Barney
Department of Geography
York University, Toronto, Canada

===

Hello caring people.

Some of you have asked how you can donate money to Burma disaster relief aid.

I said wait, as it wasn’t sure yet the best way to do it

My friends and i are now going through a local ngo to help deliver rice and
drinking water to outlying townships. we have several trucks going out this
weekend. We decided to just do it, and stop waiting for international NGOs to
get things going.

The best news is that you can donate online through their website, which they
can then access inside Myanmar (that is the real difficult part and why this
method is best). Remember, there are no banks here!

Google them to find their website: “Foundation for the People of Burma.”

100% of what you donate online will go to rice and renting jeeps and petrol to
get there. no overhead costs. local burmese ngo. Everyone volunteering. Doesn’t
get more direct then that. Pass the word around.

Thanks so much. You have no idea how far a little money goes here. 1 large sack
of rice is 10 us dollars (we get it half-price from company who wants to help
too).

justinm at ucr.edu