[Tlc] TC-border politics

Fernquest Jon fernquestj at Bangkokpost.co.th
Tue Jun 24 10:08:07 PDT 2008

Dear List-members;

Those of you currently residing outside of Thailand
may not be aware of the new vigorous approach of the
independent Thai Public Broadcasting Service (TPBS)
to news coverage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Public_Broadcasting_Service

Last week they sent a camera team into the Preah Vihear
to reveal the recent nature of Cambodian settlement
(encroachment) in the disputed area.

Unlike the previous iTV and other channels,
TBPS has been completely independent free of interference.

It has to be seen to be believed,as my boss said.
This TV coverage no doubt spurred protest efforts
yesterday:

"Protest leader Saman Sri-ngam warned the protest would continue 'until we get our Khao Phra Viharn back and expel Cambodian villagers who have encroached on the Thai border.'"
http://bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=128467

I think the power and impact of television whether it be ASTV or now TPBS
is often underestimated.

Jon Fernquest
Bangkok Post, Education
http://readbangkokpost.com/