[Tlc] [Tic] Audio files for Tai languages

Fernquest Jon fernquestj at Bangkokpost.co.th
Tue Jun 24 05:01:34 PDT 2008

Dear List Members;

I'd like to ask if anyone knows of any recordings of Tai languages,
especially Tai Yuan [Lanna] and Tai Lue,
either formal language lesson type recording or informal.

Purnell's 1962 "A Colourful Colloquial" for Chiang Mai dialect
comes immediately to mind. Was there ever a tape made for this
book?

The main reason for audio, being to prevent the fossilization of bad tone
habits in speech, often associated with self-learners who focus on reading
texts. (like myself)

Also cheap MP3 music players provide the opportunity to put audio
before text in self-taught language learning nowadays.

I've been planning to record informal sentences in Tai Yuan [Chiang Rai] and
Tai Lue, since these are the languages used around my home
in Chiang Rai and Mae Sai, and cobble them together
into a little informal podcast to publish on the web.

I thought I'd inquire what was out there already first.
Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jon Fernquest
Bangkok Post, Education