[Tlc] B-Burmese action

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Fri Jun 13 17:18:53 PDT 2008

Its a bit outside of our tri-country focus, but Dr. Nikki Tannenbaum forwarded this to me:

Hi Justin,

This is about Burma, but may be of interest to the list.  Edith Mirante
is the head of Project Maje and has been involved in getting information
out about Burma for 20+ years.

Thanks,
Nikki

Dear friends,

Two Portland, Oregon resident Burma exiles, Athein and Zaw Min Htwe,
are currently on an epic trek on foot across the United States, walking
over 3,000 miles from Portland to New York City, bringing a petition to
the United Nations and raising awareness of Burma in small towns and
cities all along their way. They've done this by the hard route, on the
mountain roads in winter, and made it through snowstorms in Idaho,
Utah, Wyoming. They take turns, 15 miles at a stretch, one walks, one
drives. They are now in the Midwest and expect to reach New York City
mid-summer. You can read about their Burma Freedom March and see their
videos at:
http://88portland.wordpress.com/

Contact info for media coverage, or for anyone who would like to meet
or host them en route in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey or New York, is
on the website, along with a route map.

Be sure to sign their online petition!

best wishes,
Edith

E. Mirante
maje at hevanet.com
www.projectmaje.org

DONATIONS for Burma Cyclone Nargis disaster relief can be made via
Global Health Access Program, funding indigenous emergency teams
currently providing aid:
http://www.ghap.org/how_to_help/cyclone/

justinm at ucr.edu