[Tlc] T-Southern Thai violence

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Mon Jul 28 18:25:31 PDT 2008

Anonymous source.
Thank you,
justin

Malipeng Khan : deny the accusation
On 18 July 2008 there were three figures appearing on Thai military-run television station and claimed to be the leader of the Thailand United Southern Underground group representing 11 insurgent organisations announced via a satellite television broadcast that they had agreed a ceasefire beginning July 14.

. I, as Malipeng Khan strongly deny the allegation that was made by General Anupong Paochinda Thai army chief who identified the man was me. The man who appeared on television was not me and I have nothing to do with that drama which was created by the Thai authority. In fact, the Thai government already has the appropriate intelligence which shows that the man in the broadcast and I are completely different people. When I met with senior Thai officers in Cairo in 1993 and Damascus in 1994 pictures were taken of me, therefore I suggest anyone interested in seeing the true identity of Malipeng Khan should contact the Thai government and demand to see these pictures. This is an extremely serious allegation and a very dirty tactic that was used by the Thai government and I expect nothing less than an official apology from the Thai authorities to be aired for the whole world to see

Thai politicians have to learn a lot about politics. Their current form of politics is extremely low class and amateur. It should be obvious to the world that this broadcast was nothing more than a complete fabrication made by the Thai military themselves seeing as the true Patani insurgents have never made any attempt to talk out openly, let alone talk about a ceasefire. Let me say that the drama narrated by the Thai authority, first of all, the name Thailand United Southern Underground group, is not suited for the Patani liberation movement. One thing that I want to make clear to the whole world and especially to the Thai government is that the people of Patani are fighting for an independent state. They fight to liberate their land which was once a sovereign state in southern East Asia. The people of Patani never accepted living under Thai occupation. I think that the Thai authority has known the real problem that faces the region but ignore the reality, as they are unwilli!
!
ng to accept the truth, and spend all their efforts on trying to make situation complicated by blaming everyone except themselves and concentrate on keeping the truth secret from the rest of the world.

In my experience with Thai politics, the Thai government always promise a lot to the Malay people in Patani, but never fulfil the promise, they are just liars. Patani people have experienced living together peacefully with ordinary Thai people in the past, however unfortunately the Thai government always treat the Malay as second class citizens, even restricting them from speaking their own language and constantly imposing Thai culture onto them.

As long as the Thai authorities occupy the land there will be more violence and misery for everyone in the region. Why don't you let Patani become independent and for the people living there to live in peace as neighbours, for example like in Eastern Europe, with the formation of new independent states. This way, crucially needed economic development can begin to improve the lives of Patani people which right now is impossible due to the politically unstable situation. This can only happen when the Malay in Patani are no longer repressed by the Thai government.

It seems to me that the Thai authority is not truly motivated in finding a solution to stop the violence in Patani. Otherwise they would stop creating fantasy stories like the one they have made about me. It has been many years since I departed from politics. Now not only do they bring me back into it but they use me as a political tool to create more hatred amongst the Patani people as they knew that this stunt would cause anger and therefore more violence in the region. Although, using Patani people against each other is nothing new from the Thai government. People may wonder why they read in the papers about Malay people even Malay chiefs being killed by Malay insurgents. This is because of the endless number of Malay informers that the Thai military have recruited in order to create internal problems in Patani society. Only the brutality of the military's tactics in Patani and the stubborn, outdated, imperialist policy of the Thai government can be blamed for the source of!
!
 any of the violence that has occurred in the region. Let's not forget what happened in Tak Bai.

You may wonder why it has taken me almost a week to speak publicly. This is because I was made to feel like a fugitive on the run and afraid of being wrongly persecuted. I am only too aware of the numerous Patani people who have been taken by the Thai authorities without trial never to be heard of again. Only now I am in an environment where I feel safe and therefore able to deny this accusation and use this opportunity to let the world know how deceitful and cruel the Thai authorities really are. In reality, I have no power over any insurgent groups in Patani and have never been involved in any insurgent operations. My only personal fault in the past was putting my trust in the Thai government and believing that they were willing to negotiate in order to bring an end to this chaos. My advice to the real Patani insurgents is to maintain their current policy of not negotiating with the Thai authorities. That is, not until the government makes a huge turnaround in their policy t!
!
owards the region and accepts the fact that we Patani people are not Thai. We have our own heritage, our own culture and our own values. We are independent.

Malipeng Khan

justinm at ucr.edu