[Tlc] TLC-AAS panel idea

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Tue Jul 15 23:32:11 PDT 2008

FYI.
Thanks,
justin

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to see whether there is any interest in putting together
a panel for the AAS meeting
next year in Chicago to serve as a forum to discuss recent work on
textual traditions and textual
transmission. I had planned to make a Burma-specific panel (so far I
do not have enough commitments), but I would like to ask for
contributions from other Southeast Asianists.

I had originally planned this panel with another colleague (who now
has too many obligations), and
together we hoped to bring together any work that would push our
understandings of pre-modern texts
in Mainland Southeast Asia away from seeing them as the equivalents of
books.  This might, for example, be work that
explores the role of translation in textual traditions; manuscripts
(or texts, however you want to
call them) as a medium of interaction between the written and the
spoken; or interactions between
texts across languages. While we did not mean to exclude Pali
traditions, we especially wanted to
encourage anyone working with indigenous languages.

If anyone is interested in such a panel, or could help me organize,
please contact me using my gmail
account, which is easier to access in Burma: mramyong at gmail.com.

Best,
PMc