[Tlc] Roxanna Brown_Response to Query by Sen Maria Cantwell

Charles Keyes keyes at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 15 12:08:59 PDT 2008

On May 28th I wrote to Senator Maria Cantwell to ask her assistance to
inquire about Roxanna's death in custody. She responded that she had
written to the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Today, I received from
Senator Cantwell a copy of a letter from the Assistant Director of
Health Services from the FBP. I am attaching in pdf form Sen.
Cantwell's letter to me together with the letter from the FBP.

For those cannot read pdf files, I am pasting in Word versions of the
letters.

Biff

UNITED STATES SENATE

July 14, 2008

Charles F. Keyes
4304 37th Ave. NE
Seattle, Washington 98105

Dear Mr. Keyes,

correspondence from the Assistant Director of the Health Services
Division for the Federal Bureau of Prisons, I hope you find the
Federal Bureau of Prison's response to be helpful.

I appreciate you bringing this matter to my attention and giving me
the opportunity to assist you in resolving this issue, Please feel
free to contact my office in the future, should you need assistance
with another matter involving the federal government.

Maria Cantwell
United States Senator

U.S. Department of Justice
Federal Bureau of Prisons
Washington, DC 20534

July 10, 2008

The Honorable Maria Cantwell
Unites states Senate
Jackson Federal Building
915 2nd Avenue
Suite 3206
Seattle, Washington 98174
Attn: Che Warren

Dear Senator Cantwell:

Your letter to Matthew Bronick, Chief, Office of Congressional
Affairs, Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP), concerning Dr. Roxanna
Brown, a former detainee at the Federal
Detention Center (FDC SeaTac) in Seattle, Washington, has been
forwarded to my office for response. You write on behalf of Charles
Keyes who had expressed concerns regarding the circumstances
surrounding her death.

A review of the medical record reveals that Dr. Brown, was a 62-year-
old female who arrived at FDC SeaTac on May 9, 2008, as a Pre-Sentence
Detainee who was being held on charges of wire fraud. She had a
medical history of depression, above the right knee amputation with
prosthetic, knee pain, chronic constipation, and hyperlipidemia. Upon
arrival at the institution, Dr. Brown received an initial screening
from institution medical staff. At the screening, she voiced no other
medical concerns. Prescriptions for Simvastatin, Sertraline (Zoloft)
and Acetaminophen were written. Following the assessment, Dr. Brown
was again seen by institution medical staff on the evening of May 12th
for complaints of nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. A diagnosis of acute
gastroenteritis was given. Promethazine by injection and Loperamide by
mouth were prescribed and provided. Dr. Brown was instructed to return
to institution sick call if her symptoms continued. On the evening of
May 13th, she collapsed in her cell and local emergency medical
services were contacted. When the paramedics arrived, Dr. Brown was
unresponsive. Resuscitation efforts were unsuccessful and she was
pronounced dead. The autopsy performed revealed acute peritonitis
resulting from a perforated gastric ulcer.

I trust this information is of assistance to you in responding to your
constituent's concerns. If I can be of further assistance in this
matter, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely,

RADM Newton E. Kendig
Assistant Director
Health Services Division