[Tlc] FW: The legendary Fred Riggs 1918 - 2008

Charles Keyes keyes at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 14 11:30:14 PST 2008

I hope that someone will write a more extended intellectual biography about Fred. I want to note here that while Fred's contributions to political theory are perhaps not as significant as he would want to be remembered for, there is no question but that his contribution to the study of Thai government and politics remain seminal. I have found myself over the years constantly referring to Thailand: The Modernization of a Bureaucratic Polity (East-West Press, 1967) as a basic source work. The appendices alone remain very valuable and his analysis of the development of Thailand's bureaucratic polity remains fundamental for any scholar who wishes to understand why the Thai bureaucracy still retains a central role in Thai politics. Although his analysis was shaped by an older structural-functionalism, Fred was one of very social scientists writing about Thai politics in the 1960s who attempted to understand the historical processes that were at work in the Thai polity.

Biff (Charles Keyes)