[Tlc] T-politics

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Tue Dec 9 20:29:27 PST 2008

Forwarded from Dr. Bonnie Brereton.
Thanks,
justin

Newin embraces Abhisit

Faction boss sets terms; 'still respects' Thaksin
    By: MANOP THIP-OSOD and AEKARACH SATTABURUTH
    Published: 10/12/2008 at 12:00 AM

The Democrat party moved closer to forming a coalition government when Newin Chidchob broke his silence on Tuesday and pledged to back the Democrat bid to lead the new administration.

Buri Ram politician Newin Chidchob, right, warmly greets Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva at the Siam City hotel. Mr Newin, leader of the Friends of Newin faction, said his group supports the Democrats in forming a new government. APICHART JINAKUL

Mr Newin, who heads the crucial Friends of Newin faction, gave his assurance when Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva led a group of Democrat heavyweights to meet him at a Bangkok hotel.

The veteran politician from Buri Ram, who is banned from politics for five years, reiterated that his followers, who broke away from the dissolved People Power party and emerged as the make-or-break element in the new government's formation, would not jump ship.

"Nothing will change from now until the House [of Representatives] elects the new prime minister. This is a man's promise," he said.

"And be assured that even though other parties might desert the Democrats, our group will remain with them."

"But I would like to say to Mr Abhisit, do not take our loss and pain for granted," Mr Newin said. "We have walked out on our friends, our party and our boss to ally with the Democrat party."

Mr Newin said he made four demands when backing the Democrat-led coalition - the institution of the monarchy must be upheld, the populist policies to help grassroots people should be continued, the constitution should be properly amended, and national reconciliation should be achieved through effective legal means.

He said he still had respect for deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who he calls "the boss".

"There is one reason I have joined hands with the Democrats - we want the country out of crisis. There is nothing about helping Thaksin," he said.

As they met, Mr Abhisit presented a bouquet of red roses imported from the Netherlands to Mr Newin, who greeted the Democrat leader with an embrace.

"If you feel worried, be worried about other parties, not us," said Mr Newin.

The Democrat leader accepted Mr Newin's demands, saying they were not contrary to the party's principles. But there were several obstacles to be overcome if those demands were to be met.

Mr Newin's assurances have cemented the Democrats' attempt to form a coalition government. Four small former government coalition parties yesterday also reaffirmed their support for the Democrat party - Chart Thai Pattana (the reformed Chart Thai), Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana, Puea Pandin and the dissolved Matchimathipataya party.

"What we said on Dec 6 remains the answer. There is no change," Maj-Gen Sanan Kachornprasart of Chart Thai Pattana told a press conference.

Chart Thai Pattana houses members of the disbanded Chart Thai party led by Banharn Silpa-archa.

The four parties pledged on Saturday to back the Democrat bid to form the government.

Puea Pandin, which was said to be split into two camps, yesterday elected Pracha Promnok party leader and agreed to stick with Mr Abhisit.

Meanwhile, the Puea Thai party, which was formed to accommodate MPs from the dissolved People Power party, voiced support for a national government of unity in a bid to turn the tide against the the Democrat-led alliance.

Surapong Tochakwichaikul, a Puea Thai MP for Chiang Mai, said the party agreed with Pracharaj leader Sanoh Thienthong's suggestion for the formation of a government of national unity.

The party also agreed to ask Mr Sanoh to coordinate with other parties in forming a national administration and selecting a new prime minister.

Puea Thai Lop Buri MP Suchart Lainamngern, still doubted the Democrat party will be able to form a government when the House convenes next week to select a new prime minister.

The petition to convene an extraordinary session is pending approval from His Majesty the King. The special session is expected to begin on Monday or Tuesday.

Chaiya Promma, a former member of the Friends of Newin group, predicted several more members of the faction would change their minds and jump to Puea Thai.

The latest to join Puea Thai is Praween sae Jeung.

He refused to comment on how many would follow suit.

justinm at ucr.edu