[Tlc] T-politics

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Tue Aug 26 08:32:58 PDT 2008

Forwarded from Dr. Bonnie Brereton.
Thanks,
justin

BangkokPost.com

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej announced Tuesday that government restraint is almost over in its dealings with the PAD, and would do all it can to restore peace to the country.

Mr Samak said he gave Interior Minister Kowit Wattana - ex-national police chief -direct control of police to restore order.

"I assigned Pol Gen Kowit to oversee the national police office and the Interior Ministry," Mr Samak said in an address carried on national television. "Police will use all means to restore normalcy as soon as possible. Police will take decisive action against the protesters."

The premier added he would look at several other ways to quell the unrest such as security bills.

"I do not want to spoil the atmosphere now," he said. "I do not want the government to be branded as those using their power to suppress the protesters."

He then vowed to stay on as the premier.

"I will not resign, I will stay to protect this country," he said.

Mr Samak also called on supporters of People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) to reconsider their action and return home to avoid trouble.
justinm at ucr.edu