[Tlc] TLC-conference

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Fri Aug 8 19:11:44 PDT 2008

FYI.
Thanks,
justin

Call for Papers
Cornell Southeast Asia Program Annual Southeast Asian Studies Graduate Conference

The Cornell Southeast Asia Program invites submissions for its 11th Annual Southeast Asian Studies Graduate Conference. This year this annual event will be held at the Kahin Center for Advanced Research on Southeast Asia at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York on October 24-26, 2008. We welcome submissions from graduate students at any stage engaged in original research related to Southeast Asia. Graduate students working in the following disciplines as well as other related fields that contribute to the understanding of Southeast Asia are encouraged to apply: history, literature, art history, sociology, musicology, religion, anthropology, archeology, architectural history, gender studies, political science, economics, linguistics and literature.

This year we are honored to announce that our keynote speaker will be Professor Benedict Anderson (Aaron L. Bienkorb Professor Emeritus of International Studies, Government and Asian Studies, Cornell University), the author of Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism ([1983], rev. ed. 1991), The Spectre of Comparisons: Nationalism, Southeast Asia, and the World (1998), and Under Three Flags: Anarchism and the Anti-Colonial Imagination (2007).  Papers related to Professor Anderson’s interests are strongly encouraged.

We ask that prospective presenters submit a one-page abstract and curriculum vitae by September 1, 2008 to: <seapgradconference at gmail.com>

Final papers will be due by October 10, 2008. Papers should be in English with a reading time of no more than 20 minutes (plus 10 minutes of discussion).  A limited number of modest travel grants are available. Please indicate in your email when you submit the abstract if you would like to apply for a travel grant.

Please see http://www.einaudi.cornell.edu/southeastasia/symposium/2008fall.asp for details on abstract format and submission, as well as further information and future updates.

Rose Metro and Trais Pearson, SEAP Student Committee Co-Chairs, 2008-2009
justinm at ucr.edu