[Tlc] C-film

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Wed Apr 30 21:28:48 PDT 2008

Forwarded from Shawn McHale.
Thanks,
justin

The Sigur Center for Asian Studies and the Asia Society Cordially Invite You To:

The King's Cinema:

My Village at Sunset

A Movie, Directed by Norodom Sihanouk, King of Cambodia (1941-55, 1993-2004)
1992, 70 minutes, color, 35mm, Khmer with English subtitles.

Introduction by Ambassador Sichan Siv,
Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations and friend of King Norodom Sihanouk.

"The star of my films is never an actor: It is (always) Cambodia."
King Norodom Sihanouk

Norodom Sihanouk inherited a country at the age of eighteen.  As Cambodia transformed from a French Protectorate through the Vietnam era and into the killing fields of the Khmer Rouge, the war-torn nation came variously under the sway of the U.S., China, and Vietnam.  Starring his son Norodom Sihamoni, the current king, My Village at Sunset, the first film directed by King Norodom Sihanouk after his return from exile in 1991, is a love story about a brilliant young Khmer surgeon who gives up a privileged life in France and returns to Cambodia after the war to treat victims of land mine explosions.  Like many of the King's films this romantic tale adheres to simple narrative conventions while revealing the rich cultural texture of Cambodia and the complex challenges of the 20th century.