[Tlc] T-Sufficiency Economy Promotion

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Sat Sep 15 07:51:55 PDT 2007

From: BangkokPost.com [mailto:webmaster at bangkokpost.net]
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2007 7:27 PM
To: Michael Montesano
Subject: sufficiency ideological work

Where enough is enough

HM the King's sufficiency economy philosophy brought to life

Story by Pichaya Svasti, photos by Yingyong Un-anongrak

The Ruaythavornyings, victims of consumerism, and the
Issarapattanas, who have freedom of choice and live their
lives in moderation.

Chatting with her neighbours in their living room, a chubby,
well-dressed lady proudly shows off a Jatukam Ramathep amulet,
claimed to be the most sacred model. Her neighbours are
attentively listening to her when one of their three children
asks the lady how the amulet works. The lady replies that it
saved the life of a man in a car accident. The child nods, and
with all seriousness and gravity says, "I see. I can give you
this superhero toy of mine to wear as an amulet, too. I saw
him rescue children from a monster on TV the other day!"
Children do sincerely believe in such things.

This is a scene from the new 105-episode cartoon series, Piang
Kub Por (Sufficiency), a simple yet fun way for people of all
ages to review their lives within the scope of His Majesty the
King's sufficiency economy philosophy.

"Our aim is to present the philosophy in a simple way, without
offending anyone, and presenting it in the form of a cartoon
is the most powerful way. Viewers will not feel pressured, but
can slowly absorb the concept while being entertained by the
interaction between the characters," MR Supinda Chakraband,
the series' producer said.

According to her, she and her team see the power of cartoons
in the fact that they are easy to watch and understand. The
series is inspired by the sufficiency economy philosophy and
is an attempt to show ways to apply it in everyday life. The
same team was also responsible for the cartoon version of His
Majesty the King's Mahajanaka in 2000, and this new series
reflects life in a modern consumer society and explores
moderation and economic development in line with the
sufficiency economy philosophy.

Under the philosophy, sufficiency means moderation,
rationality and immunity to the impact of external and
internal change. It requires the use of knowledge,
carefulness, morality, honesty, patience, perseverance and
mindfulness to achieve balance and prepare for rapid change.

MR Supinda Chakraband, the producer of the educational cartoon
series, `Piang Kub Por' (Sufficiency), "The sufficiency
economy philosophy of His Majesty the King can lead our way to
a reflective and caring society."

Although many within Thai society have expressed interest in
the King's theory, there is an inverse correlation between
their thoughts and actions. They may understand the meaning of
Buddhism's Middle Path and the Five Precepts that are deeply
rooted in Thai culture, but they are in the dark about how to
put them together to regain the true "thai" (meaning "free")
identity.

Since the Vietnam War, when the influx of money into Thailand
brought a taste of wealth, the drive for money and the fear of
poverty started to replace old sources of happiness. New
values have emerged, stating that those without money are
without worth or happiness. Wealth started to outweigh all of
the previously admired virtues. Prices have become more
significant than values.

At present, Thai society readily succumbs to the allure of
money and the consumerist herd mentality. Lacking
individuality, it is a less reflective society.

For example, the extent of the Jatukam craze reflects how
uncertain and aimless many Thais feel nowadays. With no refuge
within, they seek anything that promises any type of certainty
and stability, whether real or imagined.

"Thai society has changed and now puts more emphasis on
maximising profits, rather than optimising benefits or freedom
of choice," MR Supinda said. "What have we sacrificed in
becoming a consumer society? What should we do to turn the
clock back and return to our traditional values, values that
are now sought by the major consumer societies of the world?"

One way is to understand and follow the sufficiency economy
theory and the freedom of choice it brings, not ultimate
profits with the financial dictatorship of a consumerism economy.

However, delivering this message in a cartoon is not an easy
task, since each episode lasts only three minutes. The first
two months of the series will be spent introducing the
characters and their relationships.

The main characters are the two neighbouring families who help
each other out but lead very different ways of life. The
five-member Issarapattana family practices freedom of thought
and make independent judgments, while the four members of the
Ruaythavornyings are victims of consumerism.

The story is told via the interaction between the two
families, and will cover topics spanning daily life and
beliefs, from mobile phones to Jatukam amulets, from
eco-travel to media literacy, bearing in mind that consumerism
is directly linked to environmental, social and family issues.

The series reflects the concept of moderation, without
spelling out what is right or wrong, so that viewers can use
their own judgement.

The series also debates the choices that have to be made from
the time a child is born, to when they go to school and as
they grow up. It relates choice-literacy to a way of life. If
people make the right choices in small things, they can do the
same for important issues.

"The sufficiency economy philosophy of His Majesty the King
can lead our way to a reflective and caring society and
eventually a strong and confident country. It will liberate us
from the mental slavery of consumerism. Wealth does not always
bring freedom and happiness," MR Supinda said.

Running until August next year, the cartoon series 'Piang Kub
Por', sponsored by the Culture Ministry, the Office of the
Consumer Protection Board and the Tourism Authority of
Thailand, airs at 8:20pm every Saturday and Sunday, after the
evening news on ModerNine TV. From the same production house
is a TV variety show for children, called 'Puenkaew', at
4:30pm every Monday on ModerNine TV.

© Copyright The Post Publishing Public Co., Ltd. 2005
Privacy Policy
Comments to: Webmaster
Advertising enquiries to: Internet Marketing
Printed display ad enquiries to: Display Ads
Full contact details: Contact us

2617 Humanities Building
justinm at ucr.edu