[Tlc] TLC-SEA Graduate Student Conference Cornell and NIU

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Fri Nov 30 14:17:13 PST 2007

Please see below information regarding two upcoming graduate
student conferences at Cornell and NIU.

1)
Call for Papers
Southeast Asian Studies Graduate Conference, Cornell University

The Cornell Southeast Asia Program invites submissions for its
10th Annual Southeast Asian Studies Graduate Conference. This
year this annual event will be held at the Kahin Center for
Advanced Research on Southeast Asia at Cornell University in
Ithaca, New York on March 14-16, 2008. We welcome submissions
from graduate students at any stage engaged in original
research related to Southeast Asia. Graduate students working
in the following disciplines as well as other related fields
that contribute to the understanding of Southeast Asia are
encouraged to apply: history, literature, art history,
sociology, musicology, religion, anthropology, archeology,
architectural history, gender studies, political science,
economics, linguistics and literature.

This year we are honored to announce that our keynote speaker
will be Professor Thongchai Winichakul, the author of Siam
Mapped: A History of the Geo-body of a Nation (1994), and
"Remembering/Silencing the Traumatic Past: the Ambivalent
Memories of the October 1976 Massacre in Bangkok" in Cultural
Crisis and Social Memory: Modernity and Identity in Thailand
and Laos (2002), edited by Charles F Keyes and Shigeharu
Tanabe.  Papers related to Professor Winichakul’s interests
are strongly encouraged.

Please submit a one-page abstract and curriculum vitae to the
following email address: seapgradconference at gmail.com.  All
abstracts should be limited to one page (using 1" margins on
all sides, Times New Roman, and 12pt font size), including
examples and references, and submitted as attachments, in Word
format only.  The filename should be unique. You should use
your first name's initial and your last name to name the
abstract. For example: John Smith's abstract would be named
jsmith.doc. The subject of the message should specify
"Abstract", and the body should include the following information:
•           author's name(s), affiliation and e-mail address
•           title of abstract
•           discipline(s)

SUBMISSION DEADLINE: January 31, 2008
NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE: Early February, 2008
Final papers will be due by February 29, 2008. Papers should
be in English.  Presentations should be no more than 20
minutes and will be followed by 10 minutes of discussion.

Please see
http://www.einaudi.cornell.edu/southeastasia/symposium/2008.asp
for further information and future updates.

A limited number of modest travel grants are available.
Please indicate in your email when you submit the abstract if
you would like to apply for a travel grant.

2)
Call for Papers
Student Conference on Southeast Asian Studies, Northern
Illinois University

The Southeast Asia Club of Northern Illinois University would
like to announce a call for papers for our 2008 Student
Conference on Southeast Asian Studies.  Papers on any topic
related to Southeast Asia will be considered for admission.
We are accepting papers from both undergraduate and graduate
students.  Once accepted, the papers will be read by a panel
of judges who will decide upon the best undergraduate and
graduate papers. Prize money of $150 will be awarded for the
best undergraduate paper and $250 for the best graduate paper.

The conference will be held at Northern Illinois University,
DeKalb, Illinois on Saturday, Feb 23, 2008.

One-page abstracts are due by Dec. 14th, 2007.
Final drafts are due by Feb. 1, 2008.
Papers can be emailed to cseas at niu.edu

Papers can be mailed to:
Center for Southeast Asian Studies
Northern Illinois University
520 College View Court
DeKalb, Illinois 60115

Housing with students on campus can also be arranged.

Please direct questions to:
Tiffany Reed, conference coordinator
Southeast Asia Club at NIU
847-770-2753