[Tlc] TLC survey

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Tue Mar 13 16:28:42 PDT 2007

Thai/Lao/Cambodian Studies Group

Listserv Survey

This March marks the one year anniversary of the TLC listserv
launch. It has been supported with funding from the University
of California (Riverside)’s Southeast Asia: Text, Ritual,
Performance Studies Center (SEATRiP). This listserv was
started on recommendation of Anne Hansen, Charles Keyes, and
Thomas Borchert. It has been consistently supported by
contributions from Pattaratorn Chirapravati, Hendrick Maier,
Henry Delcore, Tamara Loos, Michael Montesano, Bonnie
Brereton, Christopher Goscha, Virginia Shih, Susan Kepner,
Caverlee Cary, Larry Ashmun, John Marston, James Lin, among
others.  The listserv membership started at 48 people. As of
March 12, 2007 there are 173 members. To continue our growth,
please encourage your graduate students and colleagues to join
and participate. If you have not sent a 2-3 sentence biography
to be placed on our tlc.ucr.edu member list, please contact me
at your convenience and I will add you to the member list. You
can see a current list of members (with bios) at
http://tlc.ucr.edu/news/index.html.

With a year of experience and 652 messages sent over the
listserv it is a good time to assess the value of the service.
Some of the members have contributed interesting news reports
on subjects such as the Thai coup, Hmong refugees, and the
Southern Thai crisis. Others have sent in news of cultural
events or new publications. Others have asked research
questions. I have tried to send out regular announcements
about conferences, faculty and research employment
opportunities, new publications, calls for papers,
internships, fellowships, films, and expositions.

I have had to make some decisions about content so as not to
over burden the members with too many e-mails. For example, I
am often torn whether to send out announcements about TLC
events and new publications in Europe, since the vast majority
of our members are based either in Australia, North America,
Cambodia, Thailand, Singapore, or Laos. I also have restrained
from sending too many reports about new articles published or
interesting articles in major newspapers like the Phnom Penh
Post, Vientiane Times, Bangkok Post, Straights Times, and The
Nation.

In order to make the listserv and website more useful to its
members, I ask you to take about 5 minutes to fill out the
survey below and send it to justin.mcdaniel at ucr.edu.

Please mark “Y” (yes) or “N” (no) depending on whether you
would like or would not like the following subjects included
on the listserv:

Political news from Thailand, Laos, or Cambodia  		Y/N

Thai, Lao, Cambodian (TLC) Cultural events in North America 	Y/N

TLC cultural events in other regions				Y/N

Conference announcements					Y/N

Calls for papers						Y/N

New Publications in Western Languages				Y/N

New Publications in Thai, Lao, or Khmer				Y/N

Fellowship, Internship, Grant announcements			Y/N

TLC Language learning opportunities				Y/N

Employment opportunities					Y/N

TLC film announcements						Y/N

General AAS or SEAC events					Y/N

Member editorial contributions on a variety of TLC subjects	Y/N

Environmental, Social, and Development news			Y/N

Book reviews							Y/N

Advertisements about rental apartments in TLC,
travel advice/warnings, childcare in TLC			Y/N

Member used book/estate sales					Y/N

Other suggestions:

Thanks,

2617 Humanities Building