[Tlc] list of SEA panels at the AAS Boston meeting

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Tue Jan 2 00:50:36 PST 2007

Dear All,

Despite the recent tragedy in Bangkok, let us wish each other
a happy new year. Let's hope for a better 2007.

As regards the TLC, the new year brings the first of three AAS
Annual Meeting Related messages.

I know many of you are beginning to mark your calendars and
are thinking of flights, hotels, etc. To that end, please see
attached a list of Southeast Asian Studies related panels at
this year's meeting (March 22-27th) at the Boston Marriott
(Copley Square). Compared recent annual meetings, it is a very
rich year for Southeast Asian Studies as you will see.

There are also several panels directly related to Thai Studies
and Cambodian Studies (unfortunately nothing on Lao Studies).
The numbers correspond to the on-line AAS schedule (which is
not complete yet):

26. Images, Texts, and Corpses: Aesthetics and Economics in
Buddhist Funerals in Thailand and Cambodia (Pattaratorn
Chirapravati, California State University, Sacramento)

51. Roundtable: Cambodia: Issues of Memory, Justice and
Reconciliation - Sponsored by Committee on Teaching about Asia
(Namji Steinemann, East-West Center)

53. Individual Papers: New Perspectives on South and Southeast
Asia: Religion and State Formation (Cynthia J. Brokaw, Ohio
State University)

68. Thai Buddhists at Bay? Confronting the Southern Conflict -
Sponsored by the Thailand/Laos/Cambodia Group (Duncan McCargo,
National University of Singapore)

131. The State of Democracy in Southeast Asia (Erik M.
Kuhonta, McGill University)

174. Buddhisms beyond Buddhism (Charles Hallisey, University
of Wisconsin, Madison)

193. The State of Culture Theory in Southeast Asian
Corporations (Marina Welker, Cornell University)

194. Individual Papers: Global Cultural and Capital Exchanges,
South and Southeast Asia (Nancy Smith-Hefner, Boston University)

213. Mining the Past: Working with Memory in Southeast Asian
Contexts (Kate McGregor, University of Melbourne)

As you can see, the TLC has also sponsored a panel this year:

68. Thai Buddhists at Bay? Confronting the Southern Conflict -
Sponsored by the Thailand/Laos/Cambodia Group (Duncan McCargo,
National University of Singapore)

I will be sending the speakers, abstracts, room locations,
etc. as soon as they are available. I will also be sending
information on the TLC Business Meeting. Dr. Judy Ledgerwood
will be our featured speaker and the meeting will be held in
the Harvard Room of the Marriott Saturday from 7:15pm - 9:00 pm.

I hope that the attached panel list will help you in making
travel and accomodation plans. Keep checking the AAS website
for more information: http://www.aasianst.org/annmtg.htm

More soon and Happy New Year,

2617 Humanities Building
justinm at ucr.edu