[Tlc] TL-Hmong

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Tue Aug 7 08:33:09 PDT 2007

2007-0806 - The Nation - No forced repatriation for Hmongs : PM

http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/08/06/regional/regional_30043957.php

Regional

No forced repatriation for Hmongs : PM

Published on August 6, 2007

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont guaranteed on Monday that
there would not be forced repatriation of 8,000 Hmongs taking
refuge in Thai soil.

"We will not force them to return to their homeland. Our
repatriation will be organised with the respect to the human
rights regulations. The Hmongs have to be repatriated because
they are citizens of our neighbouring country (Laos).," he said.

Future of Hmongs in the Thai soil became spotlight again after
a group of 13 US lawmakers last week wrote to HM the King
asking him to stop the repatriation of the Hmong to Laos.

Surayud said his government has been discussing the fate of
the Hmong with Laotian officials, and that a third country
would likely be asked to help with the repatriation.

"A third country would take care of the repatriation so that
it does not violate their human rights," he said.

Surayud said that Thailand would stick to its agreement with
Laos to send back the Hmong because so far no other country
has offered to take them.

"We worried that to wait for a third country or to have a
third country for the Hmongs will only encourage more Hmongs
to the Thai soil.

The Nation
Privacy Policy © 2006 Nation Multimedia Group Thailand Web Stat

2617 Humanities Building
justinm at ucr.edu