[Tlc] michael jerryson

Robert Albritton ralbritt at olemiss.edu
Mon Oct 9 07:36:37 PDT 2006

My God, if government corruption were the issue, we should have had a
coup in the US long ago. Think about the billions of dollars ripped
off by Haliburton or the corruption of the legislative and executive
process by Abramoff, and involving the US in a massive war on
spurious grounds, etc., etc., etc. - just to mention the most recent
problems. Thai governments have been pikers when it comes to this,
but we accept a democratically elected government because that is
what democracy is.

I get very tired of hearing Thais claim some specialized form of
democracy without ever specifying what it is. What it definitely is
not is the overthrow of democratically elected governments by
unconstitutional means. We should no longer tolerate the claim to
some unique form of democracy without some clear specification of
what it entails. Finally, as scholars, we have every right to
evaluate whether any system is democratic or not, regardless of what
Thais claim. (Remember the Democratic Republic of Kampuchea?)

We should not feed into this by deferring to Thai elites who want to
be able to seize and run the country to prevent the overthrow of
traditional society by mass democracy. Remember that the best analyst
of American democracy for over a century was a Frenchman, not an
American. Furthermore, the American Revolution was against
colonialism, not against the old canard of "corruption in
government." Please refer to Thongchai's characterization of this as
a "Royalist coup."
RBA