[Tlc] (no subject)

scotta at loxinfo.co.th scotta at loxinfo.co.th
Mon Oct 2 18:28:16 PDT 2006

1. Take over power through the use of arms from an elected government.
2. Throw out the existing constitution (Obviously since coups were illegal, it
makes sense to change the laws after the fact).
3. Arrest and purge the government of anyone with political involvement with the
previous regime.
4. Claim extraordinary situations calls for extraordinary (non-democratic)
measures.
5. Promise a civilian government, then appoint a military leader (yeah I know he
is "retired," and is a personal enemy of the previous Prime Minister).
6. Promise "elections" "sometime" in the future, but don't say who will be allowed
to run in the elections and when they will be held. How many times in the past
have military dictators anywhere in the world conducted free and fair elections?
7. Shut down all media that dares question the methods of using military force to
seize control of the government.
8. Make it clear to all how severe the penalty for protest will be. The heavily
armed troops stationed at every point of entry into Bangkok proclaims loud and
clear that one would be risking one's life to come to Bangkok and protest the
exclusion of the people from selecting their own government.

Did these jokers take a course titled how to stage a coup in a banana republic
101? There is nothing uniquely "Thai" about the coup, no more than the Burmese
military junta is unique Burmese. The coup leaders followed the same old tired
script that has always led to failure in every place in the world it has ever been
tried. What makes us think this will be the first time in the history of civilization that
a military dictatorship will improve the lives of the people more than a
democratically elected government (even if we hate the leader the people
chose)? Quoting (or paraphrasing) someone much smarter than I am, those who
don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Obviously, here in Thailand our
education in history needs to be improved. This coup has nothing to do with
making life better for the people of Thailand, but is about power, a stark naked
power grab.

Sure, plenty of people, the self-styled elites, hate Thaksin, but is freedom and
democracy a fair price to pay to make him pay for his alleged wrongs? It is sad
that in this Buddhist country, hatred of a single individual (and fear) seems to be
ruling the day. Hopefully, things are not as bleak as history leads us to believe,
but it is very doubtful the current feeling of optimism will last long. I am hopeful, but
realistic of the prospects of a military dictatorship actually leading quickly to a
free, democratic, and prosperous country.

Scott A. Hipsher
Bangkok University