[Tlc] Thai coup

robert muscat rjmuscat at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 2 08:17:22 PDT 2006

Biff:  Nice to hear from you. Good idea since many members may miss good
analyses appearing elsewhere.  My own personal interest in things Thai is
especially heightened in the case of this coup. The reason is the
comparison, too far out no doubt, of the Thai experience with the our sorry
Iraq experience. Compared with Iraq, Thailand has had everything going for a
successul transformation of political culture, from absolute authoritarian
to democracy based on rule of law, orderly transfer of power, and checks and
balances. Thailand is religiously and culturally relatively homogeneous, has
been an independent state for a long time, has had a unifying monarchy, and
has (95% of the population) a religion that does not claim supercession, or
denigrate, or contain scriptural bases for violent attacks of, other
religions. The frictions between its religious sects and mainstream Buddhism
are as nothing compared with the Sunni/Shia division. Nevertheless,
althought the Thais started down a road toward democracy, arguably around 70
years ago, the transformation remains fragile and far from complete. I have
used the Thai/Iraq comparison as a perspective that should have given, and
should still give, pause to my neocon friends who thought that
transformation in Iraq would be a shoe-in. This latest coup, paradoxical and
quintessentially Thai as it is, has demonstrated my point once again.
Best regards,
Bob Muscat