[Tlc] david wyatt

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Wed Nov 22 10:26:46 PST 2006

This is a anonymous posting in honor of David Wyatt from one
of his students. It speaks not only to his scholarship and
mentoring, but also to the last years of his career when he
became a librarian and archivist, thus ensuring that future
students and scholars would have easy access to resources and
the ability to write new histories. A great teacher wants
her/his students to surpass her/him. David Wyatt was just such
a teacher. See posting below.

I would like to share with you my fond recollections of my
respected
Professor David K. Wyatt as his former graduate student at
Cornell. He was
an excellent role model in teaching, advising, and mentoring
and he made a
significant impact on my academic and professional career.

TEACHING

Professor Wyatt was a marvelous professor that I have ever
studied with in
graduate school. He always prepared his lecture notes and tried
to cover everything that he prepared for each lecture. His
sense of humor
made his lectures enlightening and the leading discussions thought
provoking. His required and recommended readings are still
classic works
for the study of Southeast Asian history/Thai history.

ADVISING

Professor Wyatt committed his quality time slots to advise his
students
during his regular office hours on Tuesday. My regular time
slot was
2:45-3:00 every Tuesday to discuss with him about his lecture